You are here
Below are the more common homeopathic remedies used after an acute fracture. Each remedy also has many other applications in practice, but I am only describing the things related to broken bones. Keep in mind that a person could need any one of a much larger number of remedies—you have to match the patient and their symptoms to the best possible remedy at that moment in time. So always take a full case, prescribe for the whole person, and don’t limit yourself to choosing from this group of remedies alone!
- Arnica: brings down pain and swelling that accompanies any injury or wound; try to give it as soon as possible after the injury. Remember that after Arnica is taken, the swelling can be so reduced that it might be difficult to tell from observation alone that there is a fracture.
- Hypericum: I will use this remedy for fractures to areas that are rich in nerves especially the fingers, toes, and spine. Can help when there is great pain in those areas directly around a break.
- Bryonia: This remedy might be indicated some days after the accident, when the shock and trauma have passed but any motion brings on tremendous pain. The person wants to stay perfectly quiet and still to help prevent jarring, which can cause pain in the area of the broken bone, even after it has been set. The person is usually irritable and cranky, and prefers to be left alone.
- Calcarea phosphorica: useful if, after an appropriate amount of time in the cast, an X-ray shows that the bone healing has not come as far as it should have; think of this remedy when there is slow healing to bone. People needing it tend to be irritable, restless, and in a sour mood.
- Eupatorium perfoliatum: use when there is deep or aching pain at or near the site of a fracture. Can use it at the time of the break, but also some weeks later if the pain has persisted. The person may also have general aching in the body, even in areas far from the break.
- Ruta graveolens: helps to heal injuries to the periosteum—a rather dense, fibrous material that covers bones and is the place that tendons and muscles attach. When a bone breaks, these areas are also impacted, and the bruised painful feeling can remain. People needing Ruta tend to be restless.
- Symphytum: helps broken bones rejoin and heal. Some homeopaths give it routinely after a bone is set. Also good when pain remains in older, already healed fractures.